Western Union College, thanks to the liberality of its friends in Le
Mars, built a fine gymnasium in the fall of 1908 which had available
floor space of 2,800 square feet, with bath and locker rooms in the
basement. Lockers with combination locks were provided and the building
was equiptped with modern apparatus as rapidly as possible.
beginning with the school year of 1909-1910, physical traning was
required of all students, under the leadership and supervision of
The phyisical training program consisted of basketball and other
in-door games, in addition to body building exercises and fancy
marching. Every effort was made to make the work pleasant, as well as
helpful. An incidental fee of $1 per semester was required of all
students at registration to cover expenses for the program. Hot and
cold baths were provided, but students were required to furnish towels.
By 1916, Western Union College was firmly established. What had
started as a Normal School and Business college in 1887 had become a
well-established institution of higher learning. During this period,
the college departments were organized and enlarged, student
organizations had their beginning and the athletic program was
introduced. Furthermore, the physical plant of the college was enlarged
with the addition of Union Hall and the gymnasium.
The Rudolph Dubs Memorial building was completed during 1920 and
was used for the first time during that year. This building was erected
through funds contributed by friends of the late Bishop Dubs. This
structure was used as an Administration and Liberal Arts Building. The
ground floor was used for class rooms. The second floor contained the
administrative offices of the president, treasurer and other officials,
as well as the bookstore and recitation and lecture rooms. The third
floor contained the library, study hall, space for the literary
societies, and recitation rooms. The fourth floor housed the college
museum and art room.