|Westmar Alumni and Friends Association
|Wernli Hall and Heating Plant (1921)
Wernli Hall was the new
dormitory for girls and was named in honor of Professor Wernil, the
founder and president of the Le Mars Normal School, predecessor of
Western Union College. The building was completed in 1921 and was
the gift of the citizens of Le Mars and surrounding communities.
It was a brick structure and had rooms enough to accommodate more than
100 students. The dining room, which was located on the ground
floor, had a capacity of 250 to 300 persons.
All girls attending the college, except those whose parents or near relatives lived in Le Mars, were required to room in the dormitory.
The central heating plant building was erected in 1921 and was located south of the center of the campus. The two large boilers provided heat for all the buildings then on campus, and the building provided space for the installation of another boiler when required by future expansion of the institution
|WAFA | History of Westmar | Calendar | Memorabilia | Directory of Related Links | Reunions | Membership Form|